BJ’s Travels: Part 3, Dolphins, the Mast & Secluded Beaches
| December 26, 2013

BJ and her husband work in the travel industry and are based out of Georgia. The couple recently sailed on Star Flyer, exploring Panama and Costa Rica. BJ shared her experience on her blog BJ’s Travels, and we’ll be publishing excerpts from the journey here. Enjoy!


Passenger’s Log, Star Flyer Date 112613 (Tuesday) Isla Parida

The boat rocked pretty steadily for most of the night. We awoke to the sound of the waves splashing our porthole. Because we had set our watches back an hour, it was easier to get up. Well, at least for me. I joined some other ladies on the deck for coffee. We watched some little black dolphins running alongside the boat.

Gymnastics class was pretty crowded today. Tony made an appearance just as the class was finishing.

We had a light quick breakfast because I wanted to climb up to the crows nest. It was a bit scary, but I would do it again.


Afterward we climbed out onto the trampoline and watched the dolphins racing under the prow. 
When the dolphins tired of racing, we leaned back and enjoyed the breeze. It was very relaxing!

I took a tour of the ship. We looked at each category of cabin and finished in the owners suite. There wasn’t a huge difference in the size of the cabins (except for the owner’s suite). The biggest difference between the top cabin categories and the lower ones was the bathroom. The separate jacuzzi/shower combo was nice. 

Some of the cabins have fixed double beds and some can be configured as twin beds.  There are a few cabins that can accommodate 3 people.

The lowest cabin category is inside rooms with bunk beds.


One of the cabin categories has a raised bed with storage underneath. The hotel manager said that this one usually rents to honeymooners.

The tour ended in the spacious owner’s suite with plentiful seating and an elaborate bathroom.

After the tour, it was time for lunch. Today we had an Italian buffet. We both tried to stick with mostly salad and some grilled veggies, saving our calories for cocktails and dinner.

We watched the crew set the anchor near Isla Parida and then went to the cabin to change into our swim suits and slather on some sunscreen.


The tender took us to the beach for another wet landing. 

We stopped at the restaurant to ask if there were nature trails. The owner, an American, directed us up a path behind the restaurant that led to a hotel that he owns. 

We saw vultures, crabs and banana trees on our walk. It took us about 25 minutes to reach the small hotel. A couple of pit bulls greeted us with their barking, making us a bit nervous, but thankfully they were tied up.


In front of the hotel was a beautiful secluded beach. It was worth the walk.

We hurried back to the restaurant to have a beer before boarding the tender back to the ship.

Bookmark and Share

Leave a Comment